"Faithful Foodies" was inspired by Christian Gals (involved at Saddleback Church's Walk & Worship) who love to Bake & Cook. And this blog is dedicated to finding a way to incorporate healthier ingredients into tasty treats and sharing the recipes. It's your body, but...God Created It, Jesus Died For It, the Holy Spirit Lives In It, Shouldn't You Take Care Of It!



Monday, August 13, 2012

Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

If you're looking for a tasty recipe for Red Cabbage, this can be served both hot or cold (my preference is cold; especially in these hot days of summer).

This recipe came from Cooks.com with a few revisions.  I opted to not use "bacon" drippings. 

I also did not use the celery seeds and caraway seeds, and it tasted great.

However, I do plan on trying it with the two seeds next time I make it.  Yes, I think it's that good and more importantly my hubby thought it was delish, so I will be making it again.

2 lbs or 8 cups shredded organic red cabbage
4 cups cubed organic apples, unpeeled *
3 Tbl Olive Oil
1/3 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/3 cup Bragg's organic cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste

1/4 teaspoon celery seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)

Add Olive Oil to stock pot and remaining ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook for 25-30 minutes for tender cabbage, or for as little as 15 minutes if you prefer a crisp bite.
Serve immediately while still hot, or refrigerate and reheat for serving the following day.


* I used McIntosh; but any firm apple will do.

Note:  You can also serve this cold. 


 ~ MB

No comments:

Post a Comment